[G4] Free/Sharware Word doc reading program

Richard Smykla rsmykla at verizon.net
Tue Jun 17 19:45:34 PDT 2003

David,

There's an open-source project called 'antiword' that will convert
word docs to postscript. Another called 'Strangelove' that will
convert word .doc files (via antiword and ghostscript) to .pdf files.
Pretty slick, once you've installed all that. Your documents should
be quite readable that way, and if you have software to edit pdf
files, editable too. Try here to download Strangelove:

http://pygmysoftware.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?strangelove-info

Here's their readme blurb:

Strangelove

* In effect: converts Word documents to Adobe PDF files
* In composition: a Cocoa front-end for the utilities antiword and
ghostscript based on DOCtor

What do I need?

Strangelove requires two software products to do its dirty work.

	* antiword: a command-line utility by Adri van Os that
converts Word ".doc" files to PostScript files (or text files).
	<http://homepage.mac.com/ronaldo1/FileSharing.html>

	* ghostscript: among other things, can turn PostScript files
into PDFs (which Mac OS X likes). A variant called ESP Ghostscript is
available from the gimp-print web site.
	<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>

Both of these programs are also available from the Fink project. Fink
is a great way to install Mac OS X ports of Unix software. It also
has a GUI, called FinkCommander.
	<http://fink.sourceforge.net/>

Strangelove will attempt to find both of these applications, but
sometimes it won't be able to locate them automatically using
Strangelove's "Browse" button. If this is the case, you might try
searching for them (using the Finder or Sherlock). The ghostscript
executable is called "gs", but antiword is simply "antiword".

HTH,

Rick

--
Rick Smykla