[G4] Which PowerMac

Jim Soriano jsoriano at sumbeach.com
Thu Jun 19 15:47:44 PDT 2003

To see if your G4 Sawtooth is dual-CPU compatible, go to...

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/errata/duet_errata.html

...follow the documented procedure and see if your system's UNI-North
chip is rev 7 or better.  There's also a freeware app that you may be
able to download from Versiontracker to do the same (or email off list
and I can send it to you.)

If so, then you may want to check out eBay or similar places to get a
dual G4 CPU.  Be sure to get the heatsink as well.

On my wife's G4-500 Sawtooth, I swapped out the original CPU for an
Apple Dual G4-500 module and she noted immediate performance
improvement in Photoshop, printing, scanning etc. under OS 10.2 --
total cost < $100.  Now we can wait for the 2nd rev of 970-based
systems in January 2004 before buying :-)

Regards,

Jim