iChat killed my G4

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Fri Jun 27 06:27:17 PDT 2003

G4 867MHZ Quicksilver single processor. OS 10.2.6 all the latest updates.
ATI 8500 Display card.  IREZ Stealthfire firewire camera.

Downloaded and installed iChat beta. On system restart the computer hung
before the timing circle started and on my studio display a small black
rectangle about 1/2" tall by 2'' appeared just on top of the apple. The only
thing I could do was shut down by holding the power button down.

After much flomping and flailing and knashing of teeth I disconnected the
IREZ camera and the system started up. Still not able to get the camera to
work with iChat, when I plug it in,  iChat starts up and it now tells me
that the camera is being used by another app but both my SecuritySpy and BTv
applications are not running.

Anyone have iChat success with this camera or know of a work around for the
"other app using it" syndrome?

Joe Ellis