Power Problems - Spike Protection vs. UPS

Vard Nelson vardster at wt.net
Mon Jun 30 07:50:30 PDT 2003

There is a lot of talk about power problems, particularly power spikes and
lightning strikes.

Spike protection is VERY important for the reasons mentioned often.
Unfortunately, almost nothing will protect against a DIRECT lightning strike
to your power line very close to your machine.

Power smoothness, though, can be just as expensive.  We had a brownout a
couple of years ago that was very costly.  It turns out that, as the voltage
drops, the power transistor lowers its internal resistance to maintain power
(voltage x amps, or "pressure" x "volume").  When the voltage drops low
enough, the power transistor will fry itself trying to maintain enough
current.  In our VCR, the power transistor was pretty cheap - about $60.
However, the Apple 640/16 printer power transistor is a "specialty" item,
and cost almost $700 to repair!

We found out (too late) that the better UPS units come with AVR (automatic
voltage regulation) in addition to surge protection (check the box for
"AVR").  This is a TREMENDOUS advantage, in that as the line voltage goes
through its normal (and abnormal) fluctuations, the UPS unit will supply
smooth power at a constant 115 volts.  The importance of smooth power cannot
be overstated.

In earlier times, when electronics were even more sensitive to environment
than they are now, we had larger machines that were very temperamental.
Most companies would have a full-time maintenance person to keep them going.
When we installed a motor-generator to supply smooth power, our facility
went 6 months without a single failure.  Then, when the motor-generator
needed repair, we ran on building power for a couple of weeks (with no power
problems).  For the next 5 months we had one hardware failure after another
until the systems finally got straightened out again.

The bottom line is, even with our more robust modern hardware, electronics
REALLY like smooth, consistent power, and they DON'T like fluctuating power
(including being turned off and on).

Make your own choice, but, if you can afford it ($100-$150), get a good UPS
unit with AVR.  After awhile, you will find yourself reading these list
submissions and remarking to yourself, "Wow, why are all these people having
all these hardware problems?  My system is like a rock."

My $.02.

- Vard