[G4] OT: Making Large Size Project Backups : What Format To Use?

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 12:19:03 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/2/03 12:03:41 PM, Lists at domains4days.com writes:

<< When dealing with large size files (1 gig and up) such as graphics / audio
and video -  making backups to CD-R can get cumbersome and time consuming
using many disks to back up one project. (I understand for some people
backing up video, - they simply write the final file back on to the camera
to use as a backup.) For  this thread, I'm more concerned with a discussion
comparing  the media formats:

-CD-R
-CD-RW
-DVD-RAM ( the older format - I believe with a cartridge)
-DVD-R - ( the newer format)
-TAPE DRIVE BACKUP

Get yourself a FireWire or USB external hard drive case, install an 80Gb or
so hard drive, hook it up to the machine you want to back-up.

You will be able to move it to different machines. You won't need to have
special software. You will be able to search for files quickly. You will be
able to erase and re-write any time you want. You will be able to put an
active OS on it and boot from it.

What more could you ask for?

End of discussion.

ps: Stay the he## away from tape. It's strictly linear and takes forever to
roll through to the part you want.