[G4] Step by step update to Jaguar, please.

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Mar 6 13:10:03 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:00  PM, Ralph Garrett wrote:

> On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 08:35 US/Central, James Asherman wrote:
>>
>>> You don't need QT Pro 6 to edit in FCP 3.
>>
>> But you DO need FCP3 to edit in X and once you do the jaguar dance you
>> are going to be QT6 right?
>>

>> It does if you want those important functions.
>>

> Yes, you need FCP 3 to edit in X/ Jaguar, and yes, if you upgrade to
> Jaguar you will have QT 6, but there are no functions in QT 6 (or QT
> Pro 6) necessary for editing in FCP 3.
The pro version gets you a bunch of transitions and filters in FCP3.
  It also is very functional for file conversions and imports from the
desktop. Well worth the 30 beans.

>> That's Mpeg2.
>> iDVD will not let you see any Mpeg2 files.
>
> Correct, I meant to write MPG-2, not JPG-2, early morning brain fart.
> You can "see" MPG-2 files in QT as long as a compatible codec was used.
> What DVD Studio Pro adds to QT 6 is the ability to export MPG-2 files
> from QT (without using DVD SP). iDVD converts DV files to the MPG-2
> format so they can be burned to a DVD, QT should be able to export
> MPG-2 files without spending $1000 for DVD Studio Pro.

A nice thought but you would still be short of any suitable user
interface for your DVD.
iDVD does indeed do the conversion but in my experience does not allow
for
converting to mpeg2 and then accessing those mpeg2 files for any other
purpose than a DVD made with iDVD.
Jim