SCSI RAID for dummies?

josh hough josh at rufy.com
Wed Mar 12 15:34:47 PST 2003

I am trying to piece together my first RAID inside a new G4 MDD and find
the plethora of options and specifications a bit overwhelming.  Basically I
want this to be as fast as possible using only a striped pair of Seagate
Cheetahs.

I've decided on ATTO's ExpressPCI UL3D dual-channel host adapter
<http://www.attotech.com/ultra3d.html>, but I'm not sure if I should get
the regular or the RAID kit version (about $100 extra, which includes their
own ExpressRAID software <http://store.yahoo.com/atto/exforpcraid0.html>).
Is ATTO's software the only viable option given the ATTO card?  Are other
RAID utilities just as good?  SoftRAID is supposed to be the fastest Mac
RAID on the planet, and it's now available for OS X.  Furthermore, all I
want is RAID-0, which seems to be possible with merely ExpressStripe,
ATTO's RAID-0 utility for OS X
<http://store.yahoo.com/atto/exformacosxb.html>.  Is this true?

The other source of confusion is the cabling and termination.  I know I
want one of these:
<http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg06_incable.htm>, but I have no
idea which.  Do I need to get inside the G4 with a measuring tape and take
precise measurements, or is there already a specified standard solution?
Which one of these terminators would be appropriate
<http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg05_terminators.htm>, and is it
advisable to spend extra money for a diagnostic terminator given that I
will not normally be tinkering inside the machine?  I know these are a lot
of questions, but could really use any Mac RAID advice you have - even
general tips.  Thanks.
-josh