Apple RAM or Third Party RAM?

Liz Gentile acer4x at optonline.net
Thu Mar 13 07:47:14 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 07:08 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you all buy Apple RAM or third-party RAM? Reason I ask is Apple
> has suggested some OSX flakiness may be due to the RAM that came
> with the machine (free 128 MB RAM deal from Macwarehouse).
>
> Most likely it is the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card or the USB hub, but I'm
> just wondering what you all recommend - buy only Apple RAM?
>
> Now you want to know what kind of flakiness - seem to be kernel
> panics (command line stuff over GUI, frozen screen). It clears up
> on reboot BUT seems to happen rather too frequently for OSX,
> say twice in one evening.
>
> I haven't been in OS X much yet so I can't really tell what is
> going on, even as to frequency of the phenomenon because I've
> only booted into X maybe five times and been on it about an
> hour and a half each time. It is OSX.1 and I am going to upgrade
> it to Jaguar this week so maybe the flakiness will go away.

I  was having the same symptoms with my Quicksilver - several kernel
panics a day forcing a restart each time.
The problem turned out to be the extra 512 module I ordered when I
bought the machine in January.
Just sent it back today for a replacement.  Apple support said ram is
one of the two biggest reasons for kernel panics from their
experience...I have since bought a another 512 from Datamem.com and it
works great so far.  BTW, I did a hardware test from the Apple hardware
testing cd several times and it did not pick up on the problem ram.
Good luck

Liz