problem capturing video or copying large files to SCSI hard drive

Judy Antipin jlap at comcast.net
Fri Mar 14 19:30:05 PST 2003

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue, since at least part of it
occurs in OS 9 as well as in OSX, but I've found no mention of it in
other forums.
I have a G4 933, bought last February, that I use for video, graphics,
web and other mutimedia work. I'm running OS 10.2.4 (this problem
existed before the system upgrades.) The IDE 60G internal hard drive has
four partitions: OSX system (smaller partition), applications, internet
(web developement, browsers) and the largest partition which I use for
video clips and the OS 9 system folder. Working between these partitions
is no problem.

I also have an Adaptec 29160N SCSI controller card which hosts a Fujitsu
MAF3364L SUN36G 10,000 rpm scsi drive that I would like to use as my
capture drive, but that has not worked very well. I'm using Premiere 6.5
as the capture software. I have no problem using the drive as a scratch
drive, and for video and audio preview files, but if I try to capture
beyond 10,000 frames (about 5 minutes/400 mb) the capture freezes, I get
the spining beachball of death, the app turns red in the force quit
panel, and I end up having to restart, because it causes the finder to
go into spasms also. If I trash the premiere pref and plist files after
restarting, I can capture again safely if I keep it under 3 or 4 minutes
MAYBE. I have no problem capturing to the large partition on the IDE drive.

I get a similar problem if I try to copy files over 400 mb to the scsi
drive, and that happens whether I'm booted into OSX or 9.2.2. The copy
proceeds about halfway through, then the beachball, etc. In 9.2.2 the
whole system freezes. I'm using the latest software drivers/versions for
the system, the controller card and Adobe Premiere. I have factory
default settings on the hard drive. I have a second IBM 15,000 rpm SCSI
drive that I wanted to add to the scsi conroller bus, but I'm holding
off until I figure out what's going on. Any suggestions on cause and/or
cure appreciated.

Thank you,

Judy Antipin

Best Prices for All Telecommnications Needs at http://www.jlaproductions.com