[G4] Third HD

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 17:57:25 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/15/03 7:16:05, paul.moortgat at pandora.be writes:

<< I bought 10.2 and installed it on a second HD in my 933 and at the same
time I installed a third HD hooked on a Sonnet ATA 100 card with
software version 239 (the latest)  When I try to startup from the second
HD (with 10.2 on), the ONLY thing I see is the Apple logo at startup.
I've to go to the OS 9 CD which came with the purchase of the 933 (lucky
I've that) to go back to the first HD with 10.1.5.

Did this problem get resolved?

If not, consider that I had trouble getting a new OS-X installation to
recognize and boot in a 20Gb drive.

I had thought that I could install OS-X Jag without attending to any size
limitation and installed it as the primary OS on the 20Gb drive. When I
restarted, the OS froze at the Apple start-up picture. I re-booted to the
installation CD and saw the OS was installed, and there was no indication
that there was any problem.

I did a reformat of the drive and re-installed OS-X Jag. Again, no boot-up on
restart with the 20Gb drive. I did a second reformat and made one smaller
than 8Gb partition (8015Mb) and the remainder of the drive space in the
second partition.

I installed OS-X Jag in the first partition and rebooted with no problems.
The OS ran perfectly. I then installed OS-9 on the second partition for my
Classic programs. All went fine.

I was told about a limitation on drive partition size months ago, but had
thought that it was only an OS-10.1 issue. Apparently my G3 Wallstreet
doesn't know any different from OS-X to OS-X Jag.