[G4] problem capturing video or copying large files to SCSI hard drive

Paul Shand paulshand at froggy.com.au
Sun Mar 16 04:51:01 PST 2003

I agree with you Judy, if ain't broke, why fix it?  I have a
successfully operating and booting HD on an Adaptec 29160N.  It boots
happily 10.2.4 in a Umax S900.

However, in the G4 Dual Gig MDD there was nothing I could do to make an
installation of 10.2.1 to 10.2.4 boot using the Adaptec 29160N and the
ST318451LW Ultra 160 LVD  to boot the system and believe me I tried
everything.

On the other hand, it would appear on the Desktop and could be used for
Scratch and Back Ups but not boot.

In the end after using X Bench I saw no benefit in it staying in the
Dual Gig and it is now back in the UMAX and does boot from Hard Drives
attached to it.

The advice from Apple was to use it for Scratch Disks but the speed of
the ATA100 bus and the ATA66 bus is almost triple the speed of the
Adpatec 29160N of mine.

All these clever people with Acard can crow, but I am sick of extra
spending just for the sake of speed speed speed.

I shan't be worrying about SCSI in the G4 Dual Gig.

There is good reason to think about ATA133 Raid Options but with Serial
ATA and more affordable speedier options just around the corner the
SCSI people are just wasting their money for temporary peace of mind.

Maybe you should look again at the RAM you are using and maybe try it
with only 1 gig of RAM installed and see what happens if you have the
time.

Good luck.

Paul