Print Center Problem

SnowWhite jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 24 19:01:43 PST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 08:14  AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:

>> I have a G4 Cube and a G4 Sawtooth and I cannot get Print Centre to
>> print with my Tektronix Phaser 350.  The printer is hooked to the
>> router and works perfectly in OS9 and is recognized in OSX 10.2.4.
>> Print Centre sees it and I can set it up as Local but when I send a
>> print job the printer does not respond. I feel I am missing something
>> simple but cannot (have not) figuer it. Anyone have simular problems
>> with an eathernet printer? And also this printer supports Adobe
>> Postscript 2 and I cannot find anywhere to toggle it-OS9 had these
>> choices in the dialogs when I sent to print (it seems to be missing in
>> OSX).
>>
> Are you using appletalk or ethernet to talk to the printer? have you
> checked for new drivers from Tektronix? Are you using the printer port
> on the router, or is the printer running ethernet? One thing you might
> have to do is use CUPS printing to access the printer on the router, if
> it is connected to the parallel printer port of the router. If you are
> connecting the printer via ethernet, try printing to the ip address of
> the printer. Any postscript ethernet printer should be supported under
> OSX10.2.4. Also, you might have to configure some settings on the
> printer itself instead of through software.

Lee

I am connected via eathernet. Local Appletalk network finds the printer
and sets up just fine, but attempt to print gets error "printer not
responding". Got the latest PPD files for this printer and I cannot
find anywhere in Print Center to choose different drivers for printers
except where I choose my PPD match-up.

The router and printer are set to use Dynamic IP choosen by router. The
router is set to DHCP and the printer to RARP/BOOTP with IP 0.0.0.0
(dynamic). That seems to be the problem with IP print -the number may
change.  What is my DNS? I could use it instead of the IP# but I do not
know what it is exactly. Is DNS a Dynamic Name Server? I have a Print
Server Name.

Having a hard time figuering it out but am trying different configs for
printer too, but I cannot afford to screw up its functionality in OS9
at this time.

Thanks for your reply Lee.

jj