[G4] 2002 Quicksilver - adding second hard drive

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Sat Mar 29 14:36:45 PST 2003

On 3/29/03 5:19 PM, "jrs" <jrsski at attbi.com> wrote:

> I was in need of additional hard drive space on my 2002 quicksilver
> machine (966mhz-60gb-ATA66) so I purchased an ATA 100 200gb 7200 western
> digital from Dealmac for 179 after rebate. I plan on adding the 200gb
> drive to a second bay. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on
> things to watch for or precautions I should take as I go through the
> process of adding the drive or setting up for future use? Ultimately, I
> want to get my machine back in business burning DVD's and now that I
> have the space (or will have in the next few days) I want to get it
> right the first time. Thanks much!

Unless you add an ATA 100 card to your Quicksilver to drive the 200 Gb ATA
100 hard drive, you will only be able to format about 130 Gb on the drive.

There was a recent discussion about this problem and these cards on this
list. Might want to check the archives.  Acard makes the chipset.  Acard,
Sonnet and SIIG make the cards.  I didn't detect a clear winner in the
bunch.

And as a point of order, you didn't buy your drive from Dealmac.  Dealmac
just compiles lists of websites which are selling products for low prices.
You bought the drive from one of those websites.  Don't ask Dealmac for any
customer service.