[G4] Switching to Mail finally

Brooks Graham brooksgraham at mac.com
Sun May 4 14:06:24 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 03:15 PM, David Crandon wrote:

> Well, it looks like I'll finally be switching from Netscape
> Communicator
> to Apple's Mail program.

I did and have no regrets. ;-)

> Couple of questions though:
>
> I seem to remember hearing that Mail has difficulty handling large
> folders of email. Is this in terms of the number of messages, or the
> folders size? My biggest folder is about 3500 messages/70 megabytes.

That's about the size of my biggest folder as well.  I've had no
problems so far on both a G4 Cube (450MHz) and a new G4 MDD (dual
1.42GHz).  Mail's a bit snappier on the new MMD, but it wasn't at all
painful on the Cube.

> Is is possible to pickup email from different email accounts (from the
> same ISP) without quitting and restarting Mail for each one? I have to
> do this with Netscape Communicator.

I created multiple accounts in the Prefs pane. (for different ISPs,
though) One feature that isn't well documented is the ability to add
multiple email addresses in the "Email Address:" field in each account.
  This gives the ability to choose which email address any given new
message will use - and, I believe, which account the new message will
use.  (There's an "Account" pull-down that will appear on the Compose
window that will let you choose)  This is very handy for me as I have
five different email addresses that I use for different purposes.  I'm
not sure about outgoing mail, though.  I'm guessing that it's smart
enough to choose which outgoing SMTP path to choose based on which
address you pick in the pull-down.  I use one outgoing server for all
my mail, so I'm not totally sure.

HTH

- -bdg

> Thanks,
>
> David Crandon

- -
Brooks Graham
brooksgraham at mac.com
http://www.brooksgraham.com/

"No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message.  However, a
rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."