My Mac seems slower than it used to

Peter Payne peter2 at jlist.com
Tue May 6 06:39:45 PDT 2003

Hi, all. I got a 1.25 dualie G4 to replace my 1 ghz dual G4 from two
generations ago. I am happy with the machine overall, but recently
it's been seeming very slow to me. Color wheels, slowness when
swapping between apps, that kind of thing. Eudora seems downright
slow, something that shouldn't be. All in all it seems like it's
slower than my old dual 1 ghz, which is really a bummer.

I've got everything updated and normal, and I don't believe there's a
software reason why it should be slower. All Apple software is
updated. I do have only EIDE hard drives in this machine, vs. an EIDE
RAID card joining two drives on my 1 ghz, but it shouldn't make that
much of a difference in speed perception to my mind.

I have 1.25 gigs of memory -- could that not be enough? I do a lot of
apps at once, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, GoLive. Is there a
way to see graphically if the machine is swapping memory?
--
J-LIST http://www.jlist.com

Interested in my life in Japan? See the Peter Payne homepage at
http://www.peterpayne.net/