[G4] Beige G3toG4/CCC question...

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Tue May 6 12:03:31 PDT 2003

Is the 7.94Gb partition the FIRST partition on the hard drive? This is a
critical point with early G3 Beige DT models.

I ran into installation problems galore with my beige DT until I confirmed
that the OS-X installation has to be on the partition that holds the boot
block data. If I tried to install OS-X on the second partition, it would
complete the installation but refuse to recognize the system when booting and
give me the spinning color wheel of death.

If the first partition was larger than 7.95Gb, I got the same disasterous
results.

You can use the custom size box in Drive Setup to create the exact size of
partition that you want. All you have to be sure of is that you select the
number of partitions you want to create during the customized intitialization
procedure and then select the uppermost partition in the window (the one that
you want to install OS-x into) and type the size that you want that partition
to be in the customizing box.

The remaining partition will be automatically resized to take the remainder
of the space available because you have already selected the number of
partitions that you want. There will be a very small "unallocated space"
partition at the bottom of the partition window which you can view by hitting
the Tab key to rotate through the partition blocks. This "unallocated space"
should be about 5Kb and is nothing to worry about.

Hope this info helps,
Ron