[G4] Repair permissions documentation: was 10.2.5

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed May 7 13:09:50 PDT 2003

On 5/7/03,  "Wilkin, Wayne (Mass)" <Wayne.Wilkin at Staples.com> wrote:

> Listen, do whatever you guys want. All is I am saying is that no one can
> find anywhere on Apples site where it says that it is ok to repair
> permissions on the boot drive while booted from that same drive. Now before
> you say anything I also know that you can't find any documentation that
> recommends what I am saying either.

Really? This Apple document
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712> (which, IMHO,
assumes Apple's standard setup for their machines; i.e., a single startup
volume) implies that repairing permissions from the startup
volume/drive/partition is the preferred method:

"For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/).
Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the left-hand column of the Disk
Utility window, then click the First Aid tab. Click the Repair Disk
Permissions button. "