[G4] Repair permissions documentation: was 10.2.5

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Thu May 8 10:47:13 PDT 2003

At 23:36 -0500 on 05/07/2003, Brooks Graham wrote about Re: [G4]
Repair permissions documentation: was 10.2.5:

>And I remember reading somewhere that the "Repair Disk Permissions"
>utility uses a file which maps the appropriate permission attributes to
>specific files in the root filesystem.  This file gets updated
>periodically like when an OS update is applied.  So if that's the case,
>to get the "most correct" permissions settings, you shouldn't run it
>from an older OS image.  I wish I could provide an URL or something,
>but I can't remember where I read that.

I think this "file" is all the installer files (*.pkg) in
/Library/Receipts/. There is one slight problem that I wish Apple
would solve. There are entries for both DB.3 and db.3 which is in
./usr/share/man/man3 (which are the same file but are treated by UNIX
as separate files) with different permissions. Thus the permission
gets changed for DB.3 and then gets changed back for db.3. Not only
that but (at least on my system) it does this dance a second time.