[G4] Fwd: Problems 10.2.6

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu May 8 23:00:49 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 10:03  PM, John Guzman wrote:

>> Guys I need help.
>>
>> I just updated to OS 10.2.6 on my G3(beige) 266.Now, it hangs on the
>> apple splash logo and does not continue with the boot-up process.
>>
>> How can I remove this update?
>>
>> I have already run the disk doctor utility,but did not help me.

>> Clean Install?

Not necessarily clean. But reinstalling 10.2 with the retain settings
option on and then running the 10.2.6 Combo updater should do the
trick. That's the best way to fix a lot of wayward things in 10.2.6. I
am running 10.2.6 perfectly. But I had your problem with 10.2.5 and
that's how I fixed it all. There seems to be a more stable result when
you take the original 10.2 up with a Combo updater to the top. I have
no idea why these problems arise. I guess all this code is written by
human beings who are able to make mistakes. Oh well. It's still the
world's greatest operating system BAR NONE. Just grin and bear it.

The thing I love most about OS X is that when it craps out, it's so
easily fixed. Repair permissions might save you too. Boot from the 10.2
install CD 1 and choose from the Installer menu to go to the Disk
Utility and try running repair permissions from there.