[G4] Initialize or Ignore?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri May 9 15:38:22 PDT 2003

I got an exception. ADS FW boxed Maxtor 80 GB drive came up with a
dialog box I had never seen before:

A Big Red Stop Sign with a Grey Exclamation Mark inside it and and the
following text to the right of it:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read.
To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the
disk inserted, click Ignore"

Not Disk Warrior nor Disk Utilities can do any more than see it. It was
working fine until I just turned it on as usual with the Cube already
up. Hadn't ejected it the night before when I put the Cube to sleep.
Drive was originally initialized as Mac OS Extended HFS in 9. Both the
above utilities see the drive. But they cannot do anything with it.
Disk warrior cannot rebuild the boot blocks and Disk Utility cannot
mount it nor repair it. Disk First Aid in 9 cannot fix it either.

Anybody know what utility might see this drive and get it mounted?

I wonder if this is a bug in 10.2.6 that bit me?