[G4] WD HD

Jim Reamer jna1322 at mac.com
Mon May 12 14:51:46 PDT 2003

From: Jim Reamer <jna1322 at mac.com>
Date: Sat May 10, 2003  3:44:20  PM US/Eastern
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Subject: Re: [G4] WD HD

Brian,
    Thanks for the reply.
    While I do get the drive to show up on Apple Profiler, it does not
show up on Disk Utility, greyed out or otherwise.

    Well, I just tried again to no avail so I unplugged and replugged.
Two of my three partitions mounted. The third was described as
"unknown" and a message said it would not mount. This is the one I had
my main drive backed up on using CCC. Then I rechecked Disk Utility and
now all three are there with "Backup" (unknown) greyed out. So I used
DiskFirst Aid to repair the drive (partition).  The phrase "Keys out of
order" is the first sign of problem, followed by "Rebuilding Catalog
B-tree". It's been going for 5 minutes with no sign of progress so
we'll see.
    After 40 min. I stopped it.......Well, after some screwing around I
verified and repaired the partition.  It still wouldn't mount so I went
to disc utility to follow your advice; highlight and mount from
options.The color wheel came up when I clicked on the partition. It's
still spinning. I can't even force quit.
    So whenever I try to work on the drive using Disk Utility the
program locks up. I can still use the computer for certain jobs but the
drive and Disk Utility is locked up.
    So even if I do get the drive to show up on Disk Utility, I still
can't use it.
    Any more thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jim