[G4] iTunes Speed/Performance Feedback

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Mon May 26 13:59:24 PDT 2003

Kunga,
I'm not a real expert, but there may be some things you misunderstand
about CD ripping. First of all, you will only get 52x at the extreme
outside of a disk, because the the drive mechanism will not spin the CD
fast enough to get 52x on the inside tracks. This is called constant
angular velocity (think of how a record spins faster on the outside
than by the label). Unless your drive will read at 52x constant linear
velocity (how fast the data moves past the read head on the drive), you
won't get that speed toward the inside of the CD where the tracks
start. Most CDs don't have data all the way to the outside, so you may
never get 52x data read. You can observe this during a rip by watching
the speed go up as you get to the later tracks. My Quicksilver 933
starts about 8x and proceeds up to about you 13x - 14x max that you
have seen.
Next, you have to think about how dual processors work. To use dual
processors efficiently, you must have a task that can be subdivided,
but ripping a CD is inherently a linear task. For the CD drive to feed
data to two different processors, it would have to constantly shift
where it was reading, which would slow down the operation, not increase
it.
Finally, the bus and drive are going to limit the top end on ripping
speed much more so than the processor. Your Cube has only a 100 MHz bus
and a 5400 rpm disk drive (if it's still stock) which adds more of a
bottleneck. Now, a 1.2 GHz processor may give you some boost, but since
I don't see much faster operation on a machine with a 133 MHz bus and a
7200 rpm drive, the problem may be more with the ripping operation than
the processor. Your dual will certainly improve your system response
from a user interface perspective, since the OS can readily use both
processors and interface tasks are not nearly as linear as CD ripping.
I would be very interested in hearing other perspectives on this
problem.

Mel