[G4] iTunes Speed/Performance Feedback

Bryan Wiggins bryan at clickass.org
Tue May 27 11:10:30 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 14:04 US/Eastern, Kunga wrote:

> Ripping is not burning. Ripping is the process of Converting AIFF
> files from a commercial audio CD into another digital file format like
> MP3 or AAC. It is also the converting of any digital format into
> another. I may rip my MP3 files into AIFF files so I can burn a CD
> that will play in any audio CD player. I may rip my AAC file that I
> bought at the Apple iTunes Music Store into AIFF files so I can burn a
> CD that will play in any audio CD player.
>
> Ripping is the Converting of one digital recording file format to
> another.

Something that I've always assumed, maybe someone on this list knows
for sure... Back in the age of the Service Bureau, a machine called a
Raster Image Processor turned your PostScript lines and fills in to a
big ole pile of pixels that the imagesetter could expose on film, and
that process became known as RIPping the file. Is that the origin of
'ripping' files from a CD, or just coincidence?

Anybody?

Bueller?

--Bryan