[G4] G4/400 AGP Power supply. Which one? Good source?

k k at thirdangel.com
Fri May 30 06:22:26 PDT 2003

At 6:20 PM -0400 25/5/03, John Erdman wrote:

>No , not 22 or 24,  the power supply in my G4/400 AGP  has only a
>20 pin connector.  So we must be looking at totally different power
>supplies.

Maybe you have an early one. I'm still trying to figure out which PSU
goes with which board, without a single actual unit in front of me.
AFAIK, the 20-pin PSU is a very easy PSU to replace, as it's the one
that came with the Graphite G4 (Yikes board) and is the same as the
G3 B&W PSU. I've seen a fair few of them on eBay for cheap.

Go on, there must be a million people reading this list, contradict
me if one of you knows better. I desire knowledge. Shits me to tears,
frankly, the apathy on  Mac lists. I answer questions as best I can
and nobody ever makes an attempt to answer mine. I'm not that bloody
smart. My questions can't be so obscure that NOBODY knows.

>	I can't help you with the pin outs, sorry. The pin outs for my PS
>were shown in an article in the Apple Knowledge base which discussed
>diagnosing and replacing the power supply in G4's that showed no symptoms
>of life.

Thanks. I'll look for it.

>	You mention that Apple sells/refurbishes power supplies..... but
>for a high price. I haven't been able to find anything about that on the
>Apple site.  The only place I've found ANY power supplies is at
>hardcoreMac, and they didn't have much available.

Basically every time I have contacted an Apple reseller (or Apple
themselves) about getting a power supply for a G4, they have told me
that I need to have a broken one to give them or they will simply
never sell me a thing. Secondly, I have to be prepared to pay $AU300+
for the replacement unit, and they must have the original case to
install it in. No I'm not allowed to install it myself, no matter
that I've worked as a Mac technician and Digital Imaging lecturer in
two of the best art schools in the country.

hardcoreMac are bloody expensive. They charge $US249 for a Gigabit
Ethernet board, and I see those go every day on eBay for $US149 or
less. I have never seen them offer any power supply at all, but if
they ever did I bet they would charge far too much for it.

>	Your speculations as to why they're hard to find are interesting...
>but repairing one can't be all that difficult and it seems that some
>entrepreneur somewhere MUST HAVE started up a little part-time business
>repairing them for a reasonable cost.

Mate, I've been looking for seven months. If you can find one please
let me know. I'm trying to help. I'm offering you my limited
knowledge. I'm no expert, just a guy like you. Sure, I'm willing to
accept your conjecture that someone somewhere must be addressing this
market niche, but mate, it's guesswork just like mine. Find something
and I'll be interested. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

>   But it'd still be nice if someone
>could give me a steer to a reliable source for these things.

If you can get onto the xlr8yourmac.com forums by hook or by crook,
Tycho might know. So far I've been unable to get in contact with him.

Kay Gabriel Orchison, at your service sir.