[G4] Adobe 6 really this lame?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat May 31 08:57:34 PDT 2003

At 22:50 -0700 5/30/03, Kunga wrote:
>One should always Drop-Stuff anything one attaches to email. The idea of sending raw PDF files as an attachment is LAME. Stuffed they will never become corrupted. That goes for everything else as well.

I, for one, disagree. PDF is essentially compressed postscript and intelligent compression based on knowledge of a format is always better than Lempel-Ziv or the like.  Ditto for JPEG.

There may be an exception when sending a whole directory of files, but your recipient may not have Stuffit software. What if he's limited to tar and gzip?

The problem you observe with two files is the W3C-listed Apple-Double MIME format which can be turned off in mail programs if the destination is known to be a peecee. Alternatively the extra file, which contains the Mac resource fork and finder information, can be ignored at the destination. It is usually short.

Eudora has a button that selects  "include Macintosh information" or not.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--