Mysterious Preferences

William Metcalfe wtmetcal at erols.com
Sat May 31 23:19:08 PDT 2003

G4 OS 9.2.1
I recently found a group of 4  in the Preferences Folder. They all look
alike. Each is resembles a piece of paper with the top right corner
folded over. There are 2 open circles, one above the other, with a black
dot in the upper circle. There is a short squiggly line emanantly from
each dot as though it were a line of text. There appeared in early May,
but do not seem to be connected to any thing I have done to my computer
this month. When I try Command-I, I find that they are small, 4K. In the
box where one usually finds the name of the program, in one, I find the
symbol for a back stroke. 2 are date 4/22/03 and the others are 5/7/03
When I try to open one, this message appears "This fie is used by the
system software. It cannot be opened."
I have had them sitting in a folder on the desk top for several weeks.
Nothing seems amiss with the computer, yet.
What do I do now?