MS Word to Appleworks 5

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 08:11:04 PST 2003

Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> But my Appleworks 5 won't open any of the Word files for some reason.
> I think it ought to. Isn't Appleworks supposed to open Word files?

Hello Anne:
My copy of AppleWorks 5.0.4 has Claris Translators in the OS 9.2 System
Folder.  Look at them.  My set includes translators for MS Word 3.0 and 4-5
in the Mac versions, and also Word PC.  Those are all old versions of Word.
Bill Gates very accomodatingly kept changing Word formats so that even
within the Word family, older versions do not do well reading files from
newer versions.  If Word files are saved as "RTF," that would help you open
them with AppleWorks 5.

If you want to have a permanent capability to read late version Word files
in AppleWorks, you should look at MacLinkPlus.  It can also do many other
conversions.

Al