[G4] Capture cards Re: [G4] New system...

diane diane at mathermotorsports.com
Fri Nov 7 19:21:54 PST 2003

>Then you get into the firewire world and you will realize that Apple
>didn't "miss the boat" they rocked it.

I guess I need to explain why I'm not using a firewire camcorder,
although I do have the equipment for it and have borrowed a friends
and was impressed with it for video. But sometimes I really wish
people would just answer the question instead of expecting that
everyone should own the latest and greatest.

We really only use the camcorder for capturing in-car video of our
road racing. Quite frankly, the cameras get the cr*p beat out of
them. This Sony Handycam that we've been using has lasted the longest
of all of them (all have been Sonys). Usually they suffer from a
cracked board. Even this one has its moments, there are times when it
just stops recording and once the zoom locked on full (got 10 mins of
the roof of the car and sky before it went back to where we put it).

So we can't justify buying a new digital camera only to kill it (but
do look on ebay for the older Handycams when we can). Good lipstick
cameras, while sweet and sturdy, are again expensive.

Gotta put it into perspective: $500 is a full set of race tires and
my last set lasted a whole season plus the few events I did this
year.  ;)  If I put $4000 into a video system that I don't make a
living on, I'm not racing for a *long* time. Hell, my race car didn't
even cost that much and I managed to make it street legal as well.

Right now I capture with my PM6500 using the old TV/video card from
my old 638CD. I get close to 30FPS and it's not too bad, although the
size does seem limited (unless I missed another setting). Once I get
it on the computer I can use QT6 or even iMovie to manipulate or
export it.

I was just hoping to find something a little more up-to-date to use
on my dual 1.42 MDD, preferably in the close to $100 range. It would
be nice to get something that will give me a larger image size.

Everything goes obsolete as soon as you buy it, however I've gotten 8
years out of the current card so I can't complain.  I do this for our
own pleasure, not for a living. Sorry if I offended you by sounding
cheap.

I will look into the Sony media converter.

Thanks,

Diane