[G4] CD Burn Problem - Can't solve

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Sun Nov 16 16:50:22 PST 2003

Janet,

The drive that you have does not support Cd-r or -RW disk burning, it
is a DVD-Ram drive, it can only right to a DVD-ram disk of Type 1 or
possibly Type 2 . I have the same drive in my G4 500 it does not burn
CD's; however, if you tell itunes(etc...) to burn a c.d., for some
reason the computer will open the DVD-ram drive thinking that it is
capable to burn a cd. I have had it happen before when I forgot to turn
on my external burner. The profiler issue seems to be fixed in 10.3,
here is what my system profiler says:

MATSHITA PD-2 LF-D110:

   Manufacturer:	MATSHITA
   Model:	MATSHITA PD-2 LF-D110
   Revision:	A110
   Serial Number:
   Drive Type:	CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
   Disc Burning:	DRDeviceSupportLevelUnsupported
   Removable Media:	Yes
   Detachable Drive:	No
   Protocol:	ATAPI
   Unit Number:	0
   Socket Type:	Internal

When I tried itunes just now the DVD-ram drive did not open? That is a
bug I guess in the profiler that you are having it should not think it
is a CD burner

So, to burn a CD  you will have to get an external or new internal
burning solution.

1 External firewire CD-Burner
2 internal Combo Drive that can read DVD and Burn CD's
3 plain internal CD burner that has no dvd support
4 SuperDrive Internal that burns CD's and DVD's
5 Internal Rambo™ drive from LaCie  that burns DVD-rams/ DVD's and CD's

You will have to pick what dive meets your need and budget...

I hope this helps,
Dan Brieck Jr.