[G4] Pioneer DVD-RW

Don farnum at msu.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:37:22 PST 2003

I just replaced the Pioneer  DVR 103 internal drive in my G4 dual 800
with a Pioneer DVR 106 (OWC $159). It seems to be working just fine and
is recognized by both Toast and iDVD. I also replaced an old QUE
firewire cd burner with a Lite On "internal" 52x burner by simply
removing the old burner from the external firewire case, connecting the
new one, and reclosing the case. The new burner was recognized
immediately by Toast. Piece-o-cake and I now have an internal 4x DVD
burner and an external firewire 52x cd burner!

On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 08:11  AM, S. Stanley
<scart at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:33:52 -0500
> Subject: Re: [G4] Pioneer DVD-RW
> From: S. Stanley <scart at sympatico.ca>
>
> As I said I have a G4 400, I also have an 867 Tibook and my girlfriend
> has a Biege G3 so, if it's in a firewire enclosure, I can use it on all
> the machines.
>
> 5c4r7
>
> On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 06:27 PM, Daniel Brieck wrote:
>
>> Why not put the DVD burner drive in your G4? Are there any reasons why
>> to not put it internally ?  If not, then you could have full driver
>> support on the internal Pioneer drive for apple's (idvd etc) and then
>> take the mac's current drive out and put it into your external
>> firewire enclosure.
>>
>> Dan Brieck Jr.
>>
>> On Nov 18, 2003, at 4:50 PM, Steve Goldstein wrote:
>>
>>> The DVR-105  (or A05) is just as good, reportedly is recognized even
>>> more completely by the Apple software (when installed internally in
>>> the computer; still not as an external FW), and should be cheaper.
>>> Only performance difference that I know of is that the *05 does not
>>> do DVD +R, it only only does DVD -R.  But, -R is more widely
>>> recognized by players than the +R, so you may never need the +R.
>>>
>>> --Steve

Greetings from Don's Dingy Den