[G4] Nightly clones...? What procedure?

Erik Gilchrist erikgil at metagrafix.com
Mon Oct 6 10:11:46 PDT 2003

Quoting Power Macintosh G4 List <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>:
> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:14:45 +0200
> Subject: [G4] Nightly clones...? What procedure? [was: [G4] 10.2.8
>  Pulled by
> 	Apple - Apple eNews]
> From: Zoki <zoki.news at linuxix.2y.net>
>
> Le 27/09/2003 03:45, « Erik Gilchrist » <erikgil at metagrafix.com> a
> écrit :
>
> <snip>
>
> > I hope for the best but my 10.2.6 webserver is not getting upgraded
> > just yet.  Good thing I clone nightly!
>
> <snip>
>

> *** Erik,
>
> What procedure do you use for automatic cloning of your machine?

Zoran,

I am sure people have other methods but I use the excellent CCC found at
Bombich.com and on the latest versions, you can install psync automagically
through CCC somewhere in the app (sorry subjected to XP at work now but I am
SSH'ed into my OSXservers around the country!).

Basically I run at least two partitions or 2 drives. On my iBook (clamshell that
is my sandbox OS X) I run a 20GB internal and a 60GB FW/USB external, on my Dual
867 I have two physical internal 80 and 60GB drives.

On each setup I run a nightly clone that is incremental at about 4 or 5 am (I am
east coast and get many late night hits from the west coast and the like) when
traffic is the lightest according to my stats.

Every week, another clone is run that is an entirely new clone that overwrites
the old one and deletes files not found on the target. This way i get a day by
day incremental backup, then each machine is fully backed up weekely so that the
incremetal updates do  not grow out of control (size) of the target and then bad
things happen...  I also try to do offsite sorage of my absoolutely mission
critical files via my DVD but I have not yet gotten that so automated.  In time...

On other machines I run Dantz and legato and some other *nix specific tools but
this is not really G4 related.

Hope that helped. Contact me with a CC: or off-list for more info since I am on
Digest and just catching up after taking a weekend off from all things digital ;-)

Erik
d e s i g n . d e v e l o p . d e l i v e r
:: http://metagrafix.com/
:: http://erikgilchrist.com/
:: http://kaitlyngilchrist.com/
:: htttp://peoplewhopissmeoff.com/