[G4] USB Scanner Purchase

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 14:21:17 PDT 2003

A great scanner for about $79.99  is the Canon CanoScan LiDE 30. Check
it out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/
conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=6623&item=6633&section=10217

Usb Bus powered and features an attachable vertical stand. The vertical
stand is a very useful space saving feature, especially for me. I use
my scanner occasionally so having it taking up my desk all the time is
not practical ,because I end using it as a shelf. So having it vertical
next to the monitor or even behind a flat panel gets it out of the way.
Plus with scanning sheets of paper the scanner does not need to lay
flat(that is really need for scanning other objects like books).  The
only thing bad about the scanner is that it is a little slow at
previewing and Scanning, but if you use if occasionally it is really
not a problem.

P.S. Don't buy a HP or a UMAX.

HP--- What do they make that works right the first time? I bought a  hp
scanjet 3500c before the Canon. Brought it home and it did not work,
then i took it back to CompUsa. Then the Apple rep there took out a
another of the 3500c scanners and it also did not work on os X. So that
is not a good user experience(Did Hp test this to make sure there stuff
worked?) and also there support web page is plain confusing. The manual
that came with the scanner was a different model,"Very Helpful."  (Note
that the 3500c is now discontinued so they might have it right the
second time, but that is chance you will take with HP. I hope you are
close to the store incase of a return.)

UMAX -- Was a good company... I use to have an old SCSI Astra 1200S
worked well under os 9. Now its gone simply because of no 10 driver
support and SCSI card driver problems. They don't support Mac os X (But
they say they will in the future if you buy a Pro scanner Starting at
399.00, but I would not believe anything they say) Consumers scanners
the affordable ones are out of luck according to their support page.
Their solution is restart into mac os 9.1 to scan...

Dan Brieck Jr.