[G4] Newbie wireless question(s)

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Tue Oct 21 17:41:01 PDT 2003

while it is possible to set up your G4 as a base station for wireless
networking, the easiest and most convenient way to provide wireless
connectivity for both a mac and a pc would be to buy an 802.11 b/g
(either one) wireless router for about $100 and connect both the pc and
mac to the router. to do this you will need the following:

1) a wireless router  (connects directly to your cable modem)
2) a wireless networking card for your pc (linksys PCI adapters work
well)
3) either an airport card or PCI adapter card for your mac

$100+$60+$60=US $220 max (plus applicable taxes) unless you go for all
apple branded parts....

i use a Linksys "wireless G" PCI card adapter in my QS 867, and it
works flawlessly. i currently have it setup to act as a base station
for my wife's 12 inch powerbook, but will be in the market for a stand
alone wireless router soon-using my main computer as the basestation is
starting to prove annoying (restarts, freezes, etc cause loss of
connectivity for her)

good luck!
sandor