[G4] Newbie wireless question(s)

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 22 01:23:01 PDT 2003

Snoke Jay S NPRI wrote:
> here's how I have mine set up...
> I have the cable modem connected to my airport base station.  for wired computers, I have the base station connected to a small hub and the wired computers connected to the hub.  for wireless, I have airport cards in my laptops.
> I've set up the airport base station to DHCP all TCP/IP addresses to all computers on my home network.
> does that answer your question?

Hi Jay,

That's almost the same as how I set up my network :-)
T1 line connected to E-Tech ADSL modem/router/WAP/4 port switch -->
Amigo (aka E-Tech) 8 port switch --> several PCs and Macs and one Cat5
cable to another E-Tech 5 port switch to the living room downstairs.

Now on topic I use the WAP for my clamshell iBook. It has an Airport
card installed, even works with the beta of Panther. You can also buy an
Orinoco Gold or Silver card for a PC  if you're going to use an Apple
laptop, it works with the Airport set up utility in OS 9. For OS X you
need an open source driver.

For the rest I agree with JJ and Sandor. Definitely a router. I don't
know if the E-Tech brand is available over there, but I really recommend
it. I wanted to buy the Linksys 802.11b or g equivalent first because
that's what the most Mac people recommend, but I got a good price on the
E-Tech.

Didn't know that the 'Linksys "wireless G" PCI card adapter' works with
the Mac, which OS are you using Sandor?
Is this the WMP54G (URL below)?

For networking them together you don't need software at all if you're
running Jaguar, because the SAMBA protocol is built-in to connect to PCs.
You indeed need Dave software if you're running OS 9.x.
BTW if you're running OS X 10.1 I believe you also need Dave.
Isn't there an option in NT which can emulate AppleShare?
IIRC we used that option several years ago when we had an NT server here
at work (the damn thing crashed several times a day, arrgh....)

URLz:
Linksys 802.11b (BEFW11S4):
<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544>

Linksys 802.11g (WRT54G):
<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=577>

Linksys g-adapter:
<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=520>

E-Tech:
http://www.e-tech.nu. It's in Dutch, but you can translate it here:
<http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html>

Also Proxim formerly Farallon makes b/g Wifi hardware and they seem to
support the Mac aswell.
http://www.proxim.com

HTH,
Marc