Swapping drives mirrored doors and FW800 dual processor G4s

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Oct 22 19:57:58 PDT 2003

I tried swapping drives between my two G4s today.

The first Mac is a Mirrored doors (2002, "wind tunnel" Dual 1 GHz machine
that has two ATA drives in the back carrier. Both drives are jumpered for
"cable select", but the Apple System Profiler lists the boot drive as Master
and Device 0 (an 80 Gbyte IBM mechanism), the other as Device 1 and Slave
(an IBM 69 Gbyte mechanism).

The second Mac is a Dual 1.25 GHz Mirrored Doors 2003 (FW800 model). It has
a single Seagate ATA drive in the back carrier. I'm not sure how the drive
is jumpered (one pair of pins jumpered, as follows:

 x  x  x  x

 x  x  x  x

I'm not sure what this enables.

When I swap drive carriers between the two Macs, the F at 800 machine won't
boot with the two IBM drives, and the machine doesn't see either of them as
a bootable device. If I start up from the CD drive with Disk Warrior 3.0 and
run the simple disk tests in DiskWarrior, the drives pass. However, the
drives won't let the machine boot from a Mac "System Tools" disk.

I can take the Seagate drive out of the 2003 machine and put it into the
mid-2002 machine, and it will boot that machine.

I suspect the problem has something to do with the IDE bus, and that I'm
doing something wrong, but I haven't a clue what that is. I'd be grateful
for any suggestions.

Any suggestions?

Jim Robertson