[G4] 3rd drive in a Yikes?

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 11:50:42 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/4/03 9:59:42, lavode at comcast.net writes:

<<  I have tried to figure out how to get the drive sled out (not the dual
1st and
third sled), and can't do it.  >>

It is possible that your third drive sled is altogether missing in action. If
you do not see a very small phillips screw in the center of the edge closest
to the motherboard, then I suggest that your sled is gone to parts unknown and
you will have to try to locate a replacement.

If the screw is present, then you must remove it before attempting to remove
the sled from the mounting plate. Once the screw is removed, lift the edge of
the sled closest to the motherboard about 1 & 1/2 inches and pull it toward
the motherboard to disengage the tabs on the bottom of the sled from the
mounting plate.

You can now mount any size device (1", 1.5", etc) that will fit on the sled
without interferring with the other devices already in place (heat sink, PCI
cards, etc). You should examine the power connections and bus ribbons to be sure
that you have enough power connections and a long enough ribbon to reach to
the new device.

Also, be sure to identify the device with a distinctive identity to not cause
a conflict with your older devices identities.

Have a safe day.