G5 report

Doug LaBore dlabore at mn.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 08:24:15 PDT 2003

Well I had a client who asked me to purchase one of the G5 1.8 models and
setup iMovie and FCP for some production work they were doing. They wanted
to compare to the Intel boxes they are currently using against the G5. I
don't know yet how the Intel verses G5 tests went but I did do a quick test
of my own against my dual 500 G4. Here are the numbers:

16:30 minute movie @ 2.75 Gig

iMovie rendered to quicktime full DVD quality in 10:30 minutes on my dual G4
iMovie rendered to quicktime full DVD quality in 6:05 minutes on the 1.8 G5

Remembering that iMovie is NOT optimized for 64 bit operations these numbers
will certainly get better with the introduction of Panther and the recompile
of production software like FCP and iMovie

Waiting patiently for my dual 2.0 G5

--
Doug LaBore
Bloomington Minnesota