[G4] G5 report

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Thu Sep 11 12:14:54 PDT 2003

the performance difference has much much less to do with 64 bit
optimizations and much more to do with G4 v. G5 processor optimizations
(including the differences in Altivec, excuse me, Velocity Engine
between the G4+ and the G5) much of the G4 specific code actually slows
down performance on the G5s very greatly, as there are G4 specific
routines that run dog slow on a G5. also, because of things like
increased number of pipelines, etc, much code will need to be adapted
for the G5 in order to see highest performance.

in regards to 64-bit-ness, add to this the fact that the G5 will allow
you to place an ENTIRE 2.75 GB DV clip into ram (ram disk??) and you
can see much opportunity to create much higher performance on the G5s.

(slightly related- the G5 probably will perform  clock for clock with
the G4s (ie a 1.8 gHz G5 will equal the performance of a 1.8 gHz G4)
when bus speeds are not the limitation. that being said, a 900 mhz
system bus on a 1.8 ghz G5 will allow the G5 to cruise in comparison to
a G4 on a 167 mhz bus.... thus we come to the biggest problem-moto cant
create a chip that can fully support DDR (the bus speeds in the G4s
have been the bottle-neck since, oh, the dual 450s??) so IBM stepped up
to the plate with an equivalent chip to the G4, but one 100x better
able to handle the needed bus speeds for today's high powered
applications.

sandor