DP in a Sawtooth?

Dr. M. Burek mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 22:17:03 PDT 2003

I have seen the different options for installing dual processors in a G4
Sawtooth from the likes of Sonnet, Powerlogix, XLR8, and others.

I was curious as to the success (or lack thereof) of those who own a
Sawtooth and have installed one of these puppies. Can you tell me if you
are satisfied with your DP upgrade, have you run into any problems, know
of any fixes, etc?

I am thinking of buying a low-ish end Sawtooth and then getting one of
these DP upgrades to bring my Mac experience into the 21st century. So,
if anyone has any info about these (especially which has the least
problems, as the prices are wide-ranging for VERY similar products), I'd
really like to know before I plunk down $1000 between the Sawtooth and
the DP upgrade.

OR - Instead of doing the above, should I just get a newer G4 with DP
from Apple? Would this be a cheaper route? If so, which model should I
get? I'm looking for lowest price, but most power for my money, as I
plan to do a LOT of video work on it (I got a lot of videotapes to
convert and burn to disc!).  I do not have gobs of money, and will have
to save for months just to be able to afford a Sawtooth, so please, keep
this in mind....? A dual G5 is out of the question, much as I'd like one!

TIA

Michael