[G4] Hard drive dead?

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 17 09:52:23 PDT 2003

Mark,

Can you boot from the install disk or the OS on another drive?

I've had this problem randomly recur on my 450 DP with my 80G Maxtor
aftermarket
hard drive, which is where OSX resides.  Every so often during startup the
hard drive
is not seen and it defaults into OS9 on the original hard drive.

Sometimes the startup disk control panel will see the new drive, in which
case I can
select the proper volume and reboot back into OSX.

When Startup Disk can't see the new hard drive, I then have to shut down,
open the
case, ground myself to the metal chassis for fun, then remove and replug
the gray
wiring harness connecting the hard drives.  Close case & reboot.  Startup
disk in OS9
then sees the new hard drive , whereupon I can select the OSX volume &
reboot.

Wish there was a simpler method, but it works for me.

YMMV,

Jon