switching to master drive and system folder backup

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 19 17:23:11 PDT 2003

With OS9 you can drag it over but it does present some problems.

First, use Norton and check everything, then optimize or defrag the
disk completely and run the Apple hardware checker and then check your
RAM for an evening with a Ram checker program.  All this will ensure
you can make exact copies.

Second, you cannot copy a few gig and get perfect copies with drag and
drop- do it in equal chunks (as small as is reasonable) and then use
the key   Apple + I on both folders (original and copy) and look at the
Bytes - they need to be identical for a perfect copy.

Third, locate every Alias and redirect it to the same place on the new
disk (all your aliases will point to the old original disk - including
and system aliases. The aliases are a total pain in the assets of your
time.

Forth, All your graphic files that were constucted in the past will
reference the old original disk for their Links (a special pain
reserved for graphic designers doing layout).  So every time you open
something from the past you get to update all the links to the new disk
or ask "What's wrong with this picture?" alot

My advice, RE-INSTALL your OS and all your programs.  It may take a day
or two but most of the above problems are totally elliminated and you
get the brand new fresh install to kill any slow acting (compounding)
problems from the past that eventually kills your system (or just slows
it down).

jj