[G4] creating a new folder with editable name

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Sep 20 12:55:39 PDT 2003

On 9/19/03,  Harrie Westphal <harriew at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:44  AM, Rav Norodom wrote:
>
>> Every time I create a new folder in Jaguar, the name is not hilited in
>> a manner where I can type in any name right away. I have to press
>> "Return" key to make it editable.
>>
>> Anyone know how to make it behave normally?
>
> That's strange. I always use list view and I just tried selecting New
> Folder from the File menu in the Finder and the folder appears with the
> Untitled Folder name highlighted, ready for editing. I also created a
> new folder by right clicking to get the contextual menu to appear and
> chose New Folder from that menu and it also had the text highlighted,
> ready for editing. Always has worked that way for me.

You missed the point. Try this. Open a Finder window, select list view,
press CMD + SHIFT + N, see new, highlighted (i.e., selected) untitled
folder appear in window, now (without doing anything else) type the letter
a, and watch some other item in the window get selected (anything starting
with the letter a or the next letter in the alphabet after a in the list).
Now click on the name untitled folder and see the highlighting change to a
box around the name which allows you to change its name-IIRC, in OS 9 and
earlier (and maybe OS X 10.1 and earlier), this is what happened when
making new folders; in OS X 10.2+, you have to create the folder THEN
either click on the name or hit the enter or return key to edit/change it.