[G4] Memory Cache Problem 400 Mhz Sawtooth

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 26 04:02:16 PDT 2003

     Lynn Persing wrote:

>G4 400 mhz AGP Sawtooth running OS 9.1
>
>I think I've got big problems.  This morning when trying to reboot my
>computer after a crash, my boyfriend discovered this message on boot.
>"Apple's built-in memory test has discovered a problem with memory
>cache.  Please contact an Apple Service Technician.

     Shame on Apple for such a confusing diagnostic message. There's
cache memory, and there's disk cache (remember that in OS 9 and
earlier? It's settable in the Memory control panel), and here they've
gone and cited "memory cache."

     If the problem is really with cache memory, though, you do need
to bring it to an authorized Apple tech or replace the CPU module
yourself. If it's just the disk cache, you should be able to reset it
to the default with a PRAM reset (option-command-p-r at startup until
you hear the second chime). That might not clear up the problem if
you have a bad DIMM, though.

     FWIW,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA