[G4] Sawtooth 450 upgrade

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Sun Sep 28 13:49:09 PDT 2003

The "Windtunnal" macs are the MDD towers.

My MDD 867 was very noisy, not just loud but made bad grinding and
chatter-like noises. Since I replaced the power supply and main fan with
the replacements Apple sent, the noise is not any greater than any other
G4 towers I have had or worked on.

Although I will probably get a G5 next year, I would not hesitate to buy
a new MDD. These are great Macs, now that the noise fix is in. Some of
the very good prices on the new and used of these MDD towers make them
very attractive. I love having two internal optical drives and four HDs
in one box. These are fast ATA buses on the MDD, not the pokey drive
buses on all of Apples earlier towers.

I work on both the Quicksilver and MDD towers and I much prefer the MDD.

Roger