[G4] Wiretap scripting

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Apr 1 18:49:41 PST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 1, 2004, at 16:03 Canada/Eastern, lavode at comcast.net
wrote:

> I am wondering how simple it would be to set up my Mac to record a
> particular radio show every day.  I was thinking I would have to
> schedule my computer to turn itself on a few minutes before, and then
> have the script run at a particular time, launch safari, go to the
> radio's website, select the show, then launch wiretap and have it
> start recording.  Is all that even possible with AppleScript?

AppleScript works by sending messages to applications. You can control
an application through AppleScript if and only to the extent that the
application was written to accept AppleScript commands. You can find
out this by opening the application's dictionary from a scripting
application (e.g., Script Editor); this will provide an overview of
AppleScript commands the application understands. It is also possible
to script an application through the user interface, but that's far
less robust.

So is it possible? It depends on how scriptable Wiretap is.