[G4] defraging a Mac

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 12:05:32 PST 2004

On 04/01/04, Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclife.com> wrote:

> On 4/1/04 7:38 PM, "Kevin Willis" <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there an application either in OS 10.2.8 or third party for
>> defragmenting my hard drive?  How important is it in a Mac?
>
> Apple says not at all: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668>

Not quite "not at all." It says "there is little benefit to defragmenting."
and then adds this qualifier: "If your disks are almost full, and you often
modify or create large files (such as editing video)Š, there's a chance
they could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from
defragmentation, which might be performed with third-party disk utilities."
As before, it dependsŠ.