[G4] 128MB video card for Quicksilver?

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Apr 3 06:41:18 PST 2004

Anand,
As far as the 9600 goes, it will not work on Macs before the G5 without
a hack that a guy on an Irish tech web site discovered. There are some
signaling differences between the 8x slot on the G5 and previous Macs
and the site explains them pretty well. You have to cover a couple of
the small PCI edge connector traces. It does not require an off-board
power connection. I bought one on eBay, but I could not get it to work
in my Quicksilver 2002 933, but certainly not for lack of trying. The
link is:
http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?
name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=71
Unless you consider yourself pretty good with working with electronic
circuit boards, it's not really viable. The techseekers website has a
some other hacks and flashes for other cards, most of which require a
PC and a second PCI video card to pull off. You can find other sources
around the web as well.
The next most powerful ATI card is the 8500, followed by the 9000. Both
are getting a little long in the tooth. I resold the 9600 on eBay and
picked up a Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti, which is a 64 MB card, that has worked
pretty well for me. It comes with an ADC and DVI connectors. The
selling prices vary quite a bit on these, I don't know why.
Why do you specifically say you need 128MB? The 9600 for Mac only has
64MB of RAM. See:
http://ati.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600prome/specs.html
Are you going to run two monitors for 3D apps? If you are buying it for
3D games, 64MB should handle most anything that your G4 can handle.

Hope this helps.
Mel

"The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody would put a
flagstick on top."
~ Pete Dye