[G4] modem noise

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Apr 4 05:31:11 PDT 2004

     Roxylee wrote:

>   First, thank you for answering my newbie questions; you have been
>very helpful to me. I have a few more. I'm using OSX3.3 on an AGP
>digital audio 466 and want to get rid of the modem connect noise,
>like I could do in sys. 9. I have been plugging in headphones or
>turning down the volume and would like to know if there is any
>setting I can change so I won't have to do these things at each
>startup.
>
>Also, my computer doesn't do the user switching rotation thing, and I
>have it set to fast user switching. Does anyone know why? Thanks for
>being patient and for replying in non tech terms. :-)

     Can't help you with the modem noise issue, but the fast user
switching "rotation" effect, Mac OS X 10.3 Help says in response to a
query about "fast user switching and rotation,

>Mac OS X delivers an unparalleled graphically rich computing
>experience. Thanks to the Mac OS X graphics system, the user
>interface in Mac OS X is fast and fluid.
>
>If a supported graphics card is installed on your computer, Mac OS X
>uses a technology called Quartz Extreme to accelerate graphics
>performance even further, and to show enhanced graphical features.
>
>Quartz Extreme-enhanced features include faster window resizing and
>scrolling, cross-fading when changing desktop pictures (using
>Desktop & Screen Saver preferences), a cube-rotation animation when
>switching users (using fast user switching in Accounts preferences),
>and others.
>
>To find out if your computer supports Quartz Extreme, set your
>computer to change the background picture every 5 seconds. If each
>new background immediately replaces the last, then your computer
>doesn't support Quartz Extreme. If each background fades into the
>next, then your computer supports Quartz Extreme.

     Your machine is a G4 "Digital Audio," and can have a number of
different AGP video cards. I suspect it has the ATI Rage 128 Pro,
since ATI claims Quartz Extreme works on all Radeon cards. Don't know
about Nvidia cards; their Website is not terribly forthcoming on the
subject. The Apple "tech specs" page for Panther says "NVIDIA
GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti; any ATI AGP
RADEON card. A minimum of 16MB VRAM required." for QE support.

     HTH,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA