[G4] Appleworks/MS Excel

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Apr 6 10:05:27 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 6, 2004, at 09:15 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> [...] I notice that if I save out of Excel as a .DIF file, I can
> import into Appleworks 5.
> However, formulas are all lost, imported instead as fixed numbers. Is
> there any
> way to keep my formulas? Would a newer version of Appleworks keep
> formulas?

It's not the version of AppleWorks which counts, it's the export format
choice.

(1) Read the AppleWorks manual, or search its Help files for
information on which spreadsheet formats it can import.

(2) Read the Excel 98 manual, or search its Help file (under Creating,
Opening, and Saving Files > Converting files to and from MS Excel >
Formatting and features not transferred in file conversions) to find an
export file format suitable for your needs. For instance, if you need
to export worksheets with formulas, SYLK might be a good choice.

> [...] Any way to buy just Excel, as the whole
> MS Office is way beyond my budget?

Not to my knowledge. I subscribe to Rich's advice re MS Office X
Teacher and Student edition, with the caveat that -- in my neck o' the
woods, at least -- Best Buy only stocks the Win version. But there's
always Amazon... However, keep in mind that a new Office X version is
due out this summer. Befor buying, make sure whether a free upgrade is
offered or not.