[G4] is this G4 worth buying?

Nathan Gable nagable at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 16:58:08 PDT 2004

>Hi,
>
>I am making a video film for a graduate project (a very large
>project) and I found someone selling a G4 for $825.  It
>sounds good but I'm not that savy, can you tell me if it's
>worth it.  Here's the specs:
>
>1.25GB RAM
>3X80 GB hard drives
>400MHZ cpu
>ATI Radeon 8500 Graphics card
>cd/dvd rom
>zip 100 drive
>dual boot OS 9.2.2/10.2.8 intalled
>
>That's what I know and I would really appreciate any feedback.
>
>Best,  Paul

My two cents, for what they're worth.  I would suggest going for a
machine with a faster processor.  When doing video, the greatest
amount of time is rendering.  The faster the processor, the quicker
the end result.  Also, as was suggested by others, you will need a
DVD burner, lots of RAM, and a large fast hard drive, 7200 RPM
minimum, at least 120 GB.  And if you're using Final Cut Pro or
Express or Adobe Premier, a second monitor is recommended.

If you have space constraints, I'd look at a new G4 eMac with a large
HD and DVD burner.  Then you get a brand new machine.

Good luck with your project.

Nate
--
Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.